Are you a man, or do you know a man, who has a tendency to self-sabotage?
The LATE Men are adult men who function like Lost, Angry TEenagers. These men tend to show up late – they’re late to mature as fully functioning adults and late to make or keep commitments. These men tend to self-sabotage, causing relationship distress, and problems at work and at home.
There are several types of LATE Men, and the following traits are prominent:
- Narcissism – self-absorbed, sometimes grandiose, often entitled and arrogant
- Identity confusion – a lack of clarity or a consistent and clear sense of self
- Anger management problems – and they’re often passive-aggressive and defensive
- Dependency – on wives and family (includes failure-to-launch millennials)
- Addictions – including pornography, video games, and gambling, along with drugs/alcohol
- Moodiness, irritability, shame, depression, and anxiety
- Avoidance – socially and occupationally (often due to insecurity and low self-confidence)
The LATE Men typically come from dysfunctional families – with divorced parents or broken homes, fathers who were emotionally or physically absent, mothers who were over-worked or overprotective, or they were abused emotionally or physically.
Counseling for men, or couple’s therapy with a special focus on male psychology, can help the LATE Men to become the loving, responsible Adults that most men truly want to be.
All the articles in the LATE Men series are linked below in order: