Are you concerned that you or someone you love may have a sexual addiction? Is your partner using pornography excessively?
Has your natural desire to love and be loved turned into a compulsive drive that results in disappointment and heartache?
Is your marriage, relationship, job or financial health at risk because of inappropriate sexual or romantic behavior?
Sex and love addiction, including porn addiction, is now recognized as a serious emotional, psychological, and behavioral disorder by many experts in the fields of psychology, addictions and mental health treatment. Researchers estimate that one out of every 10 adults has a sex or love addiction. Those of us who work in the field of addictions and mental health problems believe these numbers could be much higher.
What’s the definition of sex and love addiction, and what are the signs and symptoms?
Like other addictions, sex and love, and porn addiction are characterized by obsession, compulsion and behavior that’s out of control and causes emotional distress and negative life consequences. At the Relationship Center of South Florida, our focus is practical — we’re concerned about the painful and disruptive effects of inappropriate and harmful sexual and “romantic” behavior. The types of problems we often see at our Center are representative of the major signs and symptoms of sex and love addiction, including:
- Frequently mistaking romantic infatuation or intense sexual experiences for love
- Constantly searching for romance, sex or love
- Using sex to find love
- Impulsive, repetitive use of pornography; web sites for hook-ups; prostitutes, anonymous sex, etc.
- Compulsive masturbation (often including the use of porn)
- Multiple affairs or brief serial romantic or sexual relationships
- Inappropriate romantic and sexual boundaries with others
- Using sex and romantic encounters to avoid unpleasant feelings such as loneliness or unhappiness
- Inappropriate or self-destructive romantic and sexual relationships
- Obsessions and compulsions about finding that special “one” and/or difficulties creating or sustaining a committed intimate relationship
- Feel desperate and anxious or fearful when not in a relationship
- Consistently choosing partners, or staying in relationships, when there is a pattern of abuse or emotional unavailability
Sex, love, and porn addiction can be overcome and true love and intimacy can be achieved.
Our program for sex and love addiction is personalized to each individual and any significant others affected by the addictive behavior. The sex and love addiction specialists at the Relationship Center of South Florida provide a safe, confidential and non-judgmental atmosphere to support and guide individuals and couples to healthy intimacy, sexuality and self-love.
Contact us today for more information about our sex and love addiction services, and to arrange for a private and confidential consultation.